mOnY's Cozy Space

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Butter Cookies with Chocolate Sprinkle Coat

I just bought this awesome cookie pan from Michaels. It's so cute! Thought I'd try make a butter cookie with this pan.
I really love the pattern on the cookies. Makes it really look professional although this is the first time I bake butter cookies. LOL.
I took 2 pics of them, one before I coated with dark chocolate and one after coated.









Recipe (makes 30 cookies):
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1.75 sticks unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
optional: i saw Martha Stewart added 1 tsp cognac, i'd like to try them next time with cognac :P

Direction:
In the bowl of a standing mixer, add the butter and mix on medium-high until fluffy and light. Add the sugar, salt and the eggs, mix until combined. Add vanilla. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour to the butter, sugar, egg mixture. Mix until batter looks smooth.
Next, sprinkle flour to your cutting board. Take out the batter from the mixer and put it on the board. With your bare hand, starts to knead the dough until it is evenly mixed. Make it into a big ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Put it in the fridge and let it chill for 2.5 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Shape your cookie dough into any shape you like. (I used my fancy pan). You can roll out the dough and shape it with cookie cutter, 1/4 to 1/8 inch tick. Transfer to a baking sheet. I did not use any butter on the pan since the cookie has enough butter. Just make sure after it is baked, you quickly transfer the cookie to cooling rack (or in my case, another baking sheet) right after you pull it out from the oven so it won't stick to the pan. Another trick is to just change the position of each cookies and let it cool.
Bake it for 8 minutes or until golden brown.

Chocolate Coat:
Melt Hershey's dark chocolate chip in microwave for 1 min (PS: my niece is allergic to nuts so I have to make sure not to buy chocolate that is processed with the same machine as they process nuts).
After 1 min, you check the chocolate and stir it with spatula to make sure everything is melting. I do it bit by bit. After the chip is melting, you add more to the bowl and heat it up for 10-20 seconds in microwave. Make sure the chocolate is not burnt. Continue do that until you have enough chocolate for your coating.
Take a cookie and dip it into the chocolate and after you are done, sprinkle it with colored sugar. Keep in the refrigerator! :)

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home