mOnY's Cozy Space

Friday, July 18, 2008

Count your blessings!

Few days ago I watched a show in TLC called "Half man, Half Tree". It's about Indonesian guy who has a skin disease that made his body full of warts and his hands shaped like tree branches/roots.
Argggh...poor guy! He has 2 children that are very normal.
Another guy has warts all over his body, shaped like small balloons covering his skins.
The other guys has a droopy nose along with the warts..
Oohh goodness..I can't believe there is such disease.
You can clik here if you would like to see the video in Youtube. I am not embedding anything because I don't want to see it anymore... once is enough.. :(

Another scarry thing.. my friend gave me this link about a Snake Baby (i.e. a baby whose face is shaped like a snake). This is even worse!!
It was told that when the mom found out that she carried another baby girl in her womb, she was very disappointed. She got 7 girls and she hoped to get a boy. Whenever someone asked her if the baby is girl or boy, the mom would say that her baby was a snake (too disappointed that she cursed her own baby?). Thus, when the baby was born..she looked like a snake.
You can look at the video here

Then..my sweet friend did some research because she could not get this out of her mind for days! hahaha.. it turned out that there is a medical explanation for this phenomena.
That poor baby actually has a skin disease called Harlequin-type ichthyosis .
"In sufferers of the disease, the skin contains massive, diamond-shaped scales, and tends to give off a reddish color. In addition, the eyes, ears, mouth, and other appendages may be abnormally contracted. The scaly keratin greatly limits the child's movement. Because the skin is cracked where normal skin would fold, it is easily pregnable by bacteria and other contaminants, resulting in serious risk of fatal infection. The harlequin-type designation comes from both the baby's apparent facial expression and the diamond-shape of the scales (resembling the costume of Arlecchino), which are caused by severe hyperkeratosis. The disease can be diagnosed in the uterus by way of fetal skin biopsy or by morphologic analysis of amniotic fluid cells obtained by amniocentesis. In addition, doctors can now usually recognize common features of the disease through ultrasound, and follow up with 3D ultrasound can diagnose the condition."

Oh my my my....Why does this happen?
When I watched that video, I am just very thankful that I have a normal eyes, nose, lips, ears, etc.. Eventhough I may not be perfect but at least I am healthy.
It was said that the snake baby passed away 1 hour after she was born...I kinna think that it was probably better that the baby lives somewhere outside of this world.. I could not imagine what would happen if she has to go though life with that condition in this cold world.. brrrrrrr..

Let's count our blessings...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home